Michigan Insurance Requirements.
**DIFS ALERT**: Effective January 1, 2018, Continuing Education (CE) Warning notifications will no longer be sent through the US Postal Service. If a licensee does not have a current email address in our (DIFS) database, we will be unable to provide CE warning notifications. Email and mailing addresses may be updated using the Contact Change Request (CCR) page on the NIPR website. Please log in to NIPR to review your address information and make any necessary changes.
This information is intended to provide answers to commonly asked questions by insurance agents. It is not intended to replace detailed information found in your state’s statutes and regulations. Though we have made reasonable efforts to ensure that the information given is reliable and current, we cannot guarantee that it is. For more information please contact your state insurance department. See contact information below.
24 hours, biennially
EFFECTIVE JANUARY 1, 2010:
The CE review date changed to the producers’ birth month every two years. Agents that were born in even numbered years must have their CE completed by the first day of their birth month in even numbered years. Agents that were born in odd numbered years must have their CE completed by the first day of their birth month in odd numbered years.
Your first CE review date is printed on your license document in the lower right hand corner. Check the online Insurance Licensee Locator or contact Prometric online or at 866-241-3115 to verify your review date.
Effective June 14, 2013: Michigan License Numbers Conversion Effective June 14, 2013, Michigan will be converting individual and agency license numbers. Individual licenses numbers will be converted to the NPN. Business entity license numbers will be converted to the Michigan state-specific System ID license number. Company license numbers will remain the same. The PDB will reflect the new license numbers on Monday, June 17, 2013. After 5:00 pm CDT, June 13, 2013, the new license number must be used in all transactions requiring the license number. Failure to use the new license numbers in these transactions will result in failed transactions.
Non-Resident Producers: Michigan is reciprocal with all other states. By meeting your home state CE requirements you will automatically comply with Michigan's requirements.
Approved Course Delivery Methods
· Written or Online self-study courses (passing grade of 70% required on final exam)
· Interactive Online
Self-study final exams must be monitored by a disinterested 3rd party (i.e. someone who has no business or family connection with the student.)
Course Subject Requirements
• Michigan requires that all licensees complete 3 credit hours in Ethics
• Effective Feb 22, 2016 - Producers who sell, solicit, or negotiate Long-term care insurance must:
- Be Licensed as a Life, or Accident and Health Agent
- Complete a one-time training course not less than 8 hours
- Complete 4 hours of ongoing training for every two-year CE compliance period after completing the initial one-time 8 hour course.
The remaining 21 credits do not have to be specific to the license line held by the agent.
Effective July 1, 2018 - Resident Producers who complete more than 24 hours of CE will be allowed to carryover no more than 12 hours to the next review period.
• This applies to producers with a CE review date of July 1, 2018 and onward.
• This does not allow any hours in Ethics to be carried over to the next review period.
• Credits earned in the current review period cannot be a duplicate of what credits have been carried over from the previous review period.
Courses may not be taken more than once in each reporting period.
• Individuals licensed only for one or more of the following lines: Limited Life, Turkey, Crop and Hail, Travel, Accident and/or Baggage, Surety and/or Title.
• Individuals who apply for and receive a hardship waiver for terminal illness of self or of an immediate family member who requires an ordinate amount of care by the licensee or active military duty.
In order to apply for a continuing education waiver or extension, a licensee must submit to OFIR a letter of request prior to the expiration of their license and should be sent or faxed to:
Office of Financial and Insurance Regulation
Continuing Education Waiver Request
PO Box 30220
Lansing, MI 48909
Cape will report credits to the DIFS ( Department of Insurance and Financial Services) within 30 days of course completion.
If you have any questions regarding renewal or credits, please contact:
517-373-0220 or 877-999-6442 (Toll-Free),
Michigan Division of Insurance
Office of Financial & Insurance Services
P.O. Box 30220
Lansing, MI 48909-7720
Cape School, Inc.
P.O. Box 169
Buckingham, VA 23921
Or email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Have Questions? Call us at #888-272-9229 or reach us by email at email@example.com