New York Insurance Requirements.
This information is intended to provide answers to commonly asked questions by insurance agents. It is not intended to replace detailed information found in your state’s statutes and regulations. Though we have made reasonable efforts to ensure that the information given is reliable and current, we cannot guarantee that it is. For more information please contact your state insurance department. See contact information below.
• 15 credit hours biennially for a single license
• 30 credit hours biennially for combined L/H and P/C (this requirement can be satisfied with 15 credit hours of courses that satisfy all license types, i.e. bridge courses - See "Course Subject Requirements" below)
The renewal application is the same for both residents and non-residents. On the CE page of the application, the resident producer would answer question A and the non-resident producer would answer question B which allows them to attest being in compliance in their home state. If there is a question about the veracity of the attestation, NIPR will be checked. The renewal application can be found here.
Licenses expire on the agent's birthday in even or odd years. Agents born in even years will renew in even years. Agents born in odd years will renew in odd years. To look up your license renewal date you may visit the Online Producer Services page on the New York State Insurance Department's website by clicking here.
Approved Course Delivery Methods
• Written and Online self-study courses (passing grade of 70% required on final exam)
• Interactive Online
Effective November 2, 2020: Self-study final exams no longer have a monitor requirement. Producers are still required to pass a final exam at the conclusion of a self-study continuing education course, but it is no longer required to have a monitor present.
Interactive Online courses - Upon successful completion, the student will be able to print the certificate of completion for the course. Credits will be reported the next business day to the NY DOI.
Self-study Online courses - Upon successful completion, the student will be able to print the certificate of completion for the course. Credits will be reported the next business day to the NY DOI.
Self-study Textbook courses - A final exam packet will be included with the self-study textbook. The exam packet is to be opened only after review of the materials has been completed. Upon completion of the final exam, fax or mail your paper answer form along with the affidavit of completion signed by the student to Cape for processing.
Course Subject Requirements
*As of April 1, 2022: Of the 15 credit hours of instruction that a licensee shall complete in accordance with Insurance Law article 21, the licensee shall satisfactorily complete courses or programs of instruction or attend seminars, as the superintendent may approve, that provide:
- At least one (1) hour of Insurance Law instruction
- At least one (1) hour of ethics and professionalism instruction
- At least one (1) hour of diversity, inclusion, and elimination of bias instruction
- At least one (1) hour of flood insurance instruction, if the licensee is licensed to sell one or more lines of property/casualty insurance
- At least three (3) hours of enhanced flood insurance instruction, if the licensee sells flood insurance through the NFIP. This is IN ADDITION to the 1 hour flood requirement listed above.
• Courses must be approved for lines of insurance for which license is held.
• LH/PC-combined licensees must complete the full CE requirement in courses approved for LH and the full CE requirement for PC. Courses that are approved for both P/C and L/H ("bridge courses") may be simultaneously applied to the L/H requirement & the P/C requirement, if taken within the biennial licensing period.
One Time Annuity Requirement - Regulation 187 (Part 224 of Title 11 of the Official Compilation of the State of New York) requires insurers to set forth standards and procedures for recommendations to consumers with respect to annuity contracts so that the insurance needs and financial objectives of the consumers are appropriately addressed. These standards and procedures are substantially similar to the NAIC Suitability in Annuity Transactions Model Regulation. It is the responsibility of the producer to know the annuity training requirements of the insurance company with whom he or she works. The insurer with whom you are appointed to sell annuities will determine if they will require you to take the Annuity Suitability training course per NY Regulation 187 which went into effect August 1, 2019.
Public Adjusters are licensed as a general consultant needing 15 hours of CE biennially.
Excess credit hours may not be carried over to the next reporting period.
Effective January 1, 2009, a licensee will no longer receive credit for any course previously completed for continuing education credit. Enforcement of this policy will begin with every license renewal or re-licensing application processed after January 31, 2009. Licensees must maintain records of completed continuing education courses and will be held responsible if a course is repeated
• Non-resident agents whose home state requires CE and has a reciprocal agreement with New York.
• Individuals who have limited line license for which an exam is not required in New York
• Newly licensed individuals are exempt for the 1st compliance period.
Independent Adjusters do not need to complete CE.
NY EXCHANGE: Effective August 31, 2020 - You must contact NYSOH to register a new account and to access the NYSOH approved certification course. The certification course will not be offered by DFS approved education providers and the course is not approved for insurance CE credit.
Use the information below to register a new account and/or to contact NY State of Health regarding detailed course information.
NY State of Health: www.NYStateofHealth.NY.gov
NYSOH Customer Service: 1-855-355-5777
Cape will report credits to the NY Department of Insurance within 30 days of course completion. A course completion certificate is provided for the agent’s records.
If you have any questions regarding renewal or credits, please contact:
New York Department of Financial Services
One Commerce Plaza
Albany, NY 12257
(518) 474-6600 or (212) 480-6400
Cape School, Inc.
P.O. Box 169
Buckingham, VA 23921
Or email us below
Have Questions? Call us at #888-272-9229 or reach us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org